The swiftness of the changes brought about by the Corona Virus epidemic caught a lot of people by surprise but having had the time to step back and reflect, I think we should put this unprecedented period into perspective.
My brother sent the lessons below to me a few days ago. Most of them have some impact on our faith, family, and finances; so I thought I should share them with you too:
- I have learnt that some things are not life essentials and we don’t need them to have a happy life. You can think of those things yourself.
- I learnt that God has been the one sustaining me, not my job.
- We have learnt that husbands and wives are more important than pillows. It’s funny? But it’s the truth.
- I’m now very sure that a peaceful home can survive any storm.
- I learnt that there’s wisdom in saving, no matter how little the amount and not to rely on only one source of income.
- I have learnt how to cook vegetarian meals. It’s no more important to spend much money on fish and meat for most meals.
- I have learnt that God hears us anywhere we pray – now that churches are shut.
- I have been taught to be more humble because everything in life is a privilege; it is just the grace of God that sustains us.
- It is now that I realised that waking up, walking, working and being able to get paid for it are all rare privileges from God.
- I will always expect the unexpected at any time. Now I know that anything can happen anytime without anyone knowing about it.
- With the lockdown, I now understand that the prisons are not a place to be. I felt how inmates feel. I realised the trauma they must be going through being isolated for years.
- Now I know that I won’t die if I don’t watch football or go to restaurants, clubs and gyms.
- I have learnt that running to other countries of the world may not be the solution sometimes. Many people ran back home because of the pandemic. Those who would have travelled abroad for medical tourism cannot do that this time.
- I learnt never to invest all my money in one business. The business can be grounded anytime.
- I have learnt the necessity of having an emergency fund. I must continue to save for unforeseen circumstances.
- I realized that having a house is more important than buying a car. COVID-19 brought home the essence of SHELTER as one of the basic and if not, the most essential of the basic necessities of life. Having a decent roof over your head is very important. Sleep has become an important aspect of life in this lockdown and having a decent roof over your head can sure help with that.
- It is now self-evident that some of those people that we unwittingly neglect – like family – are basically who we need to surround ourselves with.
- We have learnt that food is more important than clothes, shoes and other material things.
- I learned that we don’t need to waste our money on burials, weddings, parties, etc to have a life. We can do these events without fanfare.
- Above all, I have learnt to appreciate God the more. I am not better than those who died as a result of having the coronavirus, and surviving it has not being by my own power, it is by the mercy and grace of Almighty God.
Money Management Coach
Author of the soon-coming book:"Joshua, Jordan and Jericho"
(Reaching Beyond All Obstacles To Your Destiny)